Sunday, December 8, 2013

Have you heard? There's a rumour in St. Petersburg

So, the bad thing about being neglectful, is now I have to remember everything that has happened in the past few weeks.
The weekend of Oct. 1-2, we were in St. Petersburg. And I have fallen in love with another Russian city. St. Petes is kind of like a smaller version of Moscow. Which means that there is the hustle and bustle of the city- its just not as crowded. But you can't only spend two days there, because there is far too much to see and do. We left on Friday night, taking an overnight sleeper train- which was a lot of fun. But then again, I love trains...and sleeping. We arrived at 5 in the morning and quickly headed to our hostel. This was my first time staying in one. And it was not at all like I expected- which is a very good thing, I don't know where I got my imagined layout of a hostel, but it was definitely something from a long time ago and I never changed the image. That Saturday, it was tons and tons of sightseeing. Church after church after monument after building after statue, after museum...you get the picture. But all of it was gorgeous. Russian architecture is absolutely incredible. And, except for some of the decrepitly beautiful castles in Ireland, they are the oldest buildings I have ever seen. I think that is the coolest part about the buildings in Russia, because people have been standing in the exact place and looking at the exact thing that you are, for months, years, decades, centuries, and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment