Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Getting to know you

So, here I am sitting in the lobby at 3 in the morning. It is the only "online hotspot" in the building. Nobody is here- except for me because I am an American and it is only supposed to be 7 at night. Also, I haven't figured out the internet in my room- the instructions are all in Russian- who'da thunk...? Jet lag goes in and out- but mostly I am just trying to convert my sleep time. I took a nap at 6 today only to wake up to the realization that it was very late. And I am officially crazy with the thought that I would actually only be taking a nap. My body is rebelling after lugging about 90 lbs of crappola through the city of Moscow. And we walk everywhere! Culture shock has not set in yet and I am having quite a great time. I get a breath of fresh air by meeting new people (not that I do not love all of those that I am already aquainted with!). The bad news is that they are not used to my height- like the rest of you are- so, here we go again with the arm rest on my head and the short jokes... I take it in stride to avoid being the bitch right off the bat. I forget how easy it is to make friends and that people as a whole are willing to be friendly. [Even the Russians- so I just want to put it out there- Russians are awesome. They get a bad rep and I apologize to them. They can be quite fun, especially in bars- just like everyone else]. Most of the people I am hanging out with are older and frankly- its wonderful. I like the mid to late 20s aged people. They are still tons of fun but don't feel the need to go overboard. My suitemate on the other hand...nervous laughter... I am not homesick just yet, but I do think about everyone at home a lot. Its strange not hopping online and being able to talk right away. And apparently NO ONE is on at 7 at night because we all have to wait until 9 at night not to be considered absolute computer addicts...
It has been a crazy schedule the past few days. Getting aquainted with the city, the group, the metro, and of course, Russian beauracracy. All Russians do is wait in line. I don't know what the huge hold up is but no one gets shit done quickly. It took 5 hours to get checked into the dorms, 5 hours to pre-register, tomorrow it will take another 5 hours to actually register. Not to mention all the random waiting. Like at the metro, at the supermarket, which yes, are usually busy, but Russia takes it to a whole new level. Rubles are about 28/1 which sucks. Because now I have to do math. I went to the ATM and it spit out a bill with the number 5000. For those of you that are just as bad as I am in math, that is over $100. And the only place that really takes them, are the supermarkets. (p.s. there is a beetle doing laps across the floor. it seems really determined to keep going back and forth.) Anyway, we took the metro into the Red Square today. And let me tell you. St. Basils Cathedral is the.most.spectacular.thing. I have ever seen. Its one thing to google it, but in person- it is breathtaking. We also saw the parliament building, the Goom, and everything else that occupies Red Square. It was so amazing to actually be there. Its all a little surreal. Tomorrow/today is the proficiency exam. HAHAHA. I am gonna go study.

1 comment: