Saturday, September 17, 2011

La vie en Russia

We started classes last week. It is quite intense. The language classes are 3 hours long for 4 times a week. Then I have 2 other classes and a seminar-type thing. Should be an interesting semester. There are only 5 of us in my language class- so that means attention for all of us. YAY![?] But I can already feel my Russian getting better. The unfortunate part is when I am in the real world, people speak much faster and much quieter. As my friend Michael quoted from somewhere [in Russian], "You can't hear a Russian speak from 10 ft away" or something to that effect. Which is very true. It isn't that I don't understand- its that I can't friggen hear them! Which- of course- still makes me feel like an idiot by their reaction anyway. Oh well, more practice...? But as for the other two classes- they will be an experience. Mass media and history. History will be same ol' same ol', but I am a little worried about mass media.
On another note, last weekend was absolutely fantastique! [I can hear drunken Russians outside my window- they sound lovely]. And the second night I actually got back to my dorm at a reasonable hour. So, friday night, the people I was originally going out with ran into another group of exchange students outside the dorm. Therefore, I met some new people and for some reason [not sure the idea was thought through] we all went out in a huge group. I swear there must have been 20 of us. We couldn't find the place we originally wanted to go to (after some classic wandering through Moscow), and through the course of the night, we all split up anyway. I met some lovely Europeans from Italy, Spain, Bulgaria, Hungry, Austria, Germany, and so on and so forth. We ended up at a place, at long last, called Bilingua, which I would like to visit again earlier in the evening when it might be more crowded. From what I could tell, the music and the beer were good. Which are the top two priorities when going out, in my opinion. [I feel like that could be a potential "Duh." statement]. The next night some of my new European friends (I just love saying that!)and I went to a place called Kvartiira 44 and that was a lot of fun too. Before we went in though, we got hungry and went to Kroshka Kartoshka- which is like fast food baked potatoes. They were quite good, but I don't want to know what was in it, and I wouldn't tell you if I knew. But, it is the equivalent of Americans going out for pizza after getting completely smashed. Quick, easy, and pretty good. There were only 5 of us, which I think is a good number for going out. A tip- one should probably always meet up with people inside a venue if you are a group larger than 5. For some reason, they don't let you in. This place was pretty small anyway, and we decided on the "When in Russia..." mentality and had a shot of vodka with our .5L beers. The Moscovite [older men] were impressed saying in their thick accents, "Beer and vodka is very good. Very good." Except our waiter thought we were silly foreigners and gave up speaking to us after he spoke fast and low, and we had to keep saying "Shto?" and just started gesturing, like weird ones, like thumbs up and stuff. Things got pretty funny after a couple of the drunk customers starting singing, dancing, and playing the piano. We got serenaded. It was a very nice song. And we were told we were loved about 578 times. I think- I may be off a little on the number. It was my favorite kind of evening. Good company, good atmosphere, and drinks- but not excessive. And we got back at around 2- instead of 7.
This last week has been absolutely beautiful weather, which is making me fall more and more in love with the city- before it turns on me and gets frightfully cold. It is just as beautiful in the day time with the changing leaves, the perfect 16* weather with the occasional breeze, and the smell of rotting apples in the air, while at night, its cool and crisp with the city lit up and still alive. My not so favorite part, is probably the drag racing that goes on almost 24/7.
This weekend is a group excursion to a town called Vladimir. hahaha, group trips...[for some reason, I flashed back to Fort Stanwix and we are going to Herkimer Diamond Mines....] I am told that something important went on there. And excuse my naivete, but I don't know what. But I will after Friday! So I won't be unaware of this particular site for much longer. I will probably wikipedia it before I go anyway. It should be fun. I like bus trips.

Пока! Всё любовь моя!

No comments:

Post a Comment